Explore Rangitoto Island and adjoining Motutapu Island on Sunday 23 January 2022 (just 25 minutes by ferry)
An iconic landmark and sleeping volcano, Rangitoto Island sits off the coast in the Hauraki Gulf. Arriving on the island we will commence the summit track exploring native forest, Kowhai Grove, Kidney Fern Glen, and Lava caves before reaching the summit and enjoying epic views. We will then descend to Summit Road and along to Mackenzie Bay following the coastline to Flax point and onto the Coastal track to Islington Bay, and over to Motutapu Island.
A reasonable level of fitness is required with walking on tracks, board walk and unsealed roads for up to five hours.
We expect warm weather. Bring plenty of water, togs if you want a swim, camera, lunch, and snacks.
Purchase your ferry ticket before the day from Fullers (online).
· Auckland Pier 13, Downtown Ferry Terminal at 9:15am
· Devonport at 9.25am
It is recommended you join the boarding queue promptly as sometimes having a ticket does not guarantee a place on a specific sailing.
· Last ferry at 4.00pm leaving Rangitoto to Devonport and on to Auckland.
Cost: Ferry fares ($39 per adult).
Non-members: Please phone the organiser to check suitability of the tramp
Covid in the Orange Light Setting:
· Register for trips via our website. Non-members required to phone the Trip Organizer
· If you are sick or feel unwell please stay at home and self-isolate
· People attending Club trips will be required to present a “My Vaccine Pass” from the QR code app or by printing your Vaccine Pass from the "My Health Website".
· Please scan the Club QR Code using the NZ Covid Tracer app
· Face mask will be required for travel on the ferry.
· While tramping in public spaces where other people expected to be encountered maintain 1 metre social distancing and wear a mask
· See the Club website for full details about Covid restrictions. https://www.nstc.org.nz/news/11484061