Updated: See map links at the end of this listing.
Come and experience the amazing views of Mt. Taranaki and the surrounding coast, native forest, cliffs, rivers, waterfalls and spectacular alpine scenery. It will require Friday: 28th Jan 2022 off work.Full payment due when registration confirmed please.
There will be two trips:
(i) Medium (M) requiring good level of fitness and experience. Climbs over steep slopes: 1500M: typically 7 hrs/day
(ii) Medium / Fit (M/F): Experience and a high level of fitness and stamina necessary. ~8 hrs / day with climb planned to the summit of Mt Taranaki: 2510M
Thursday: Departing Thursday night at 6.30pm drive from Auckland to North Egmont overnighting at The Camphouse located at the top of North Egmont Rd off SH3 near the DOC Visitor Centre.
Select your accommodation option when booking: Sleep on the bus ($0) or at The Camphouse at an additional cost ($30)
The Camphouse facilities:
• Mattresses - bring your own linen or other bedding and pillows
• Pots, pans, cooking utensils, cutlery and crockery – bring your own tea towels and dishwashing liquid.
• Men’s and women’s bathrooms with 2 showers and 1 toilet in each – bring your own soap and towels.
• Communal lounge with heating.
• To secure a bunk at The Camphouse please select your option when booking and pay deposit by 30th September to allow us to secure.
Friday: Depart The Camphouse –North Egmont: 8am for Mangorei Trail Head Carpark.
The Medium / Fit (M/F) Party will be dropped off at the Mangorei Rd Carpark and follow the Around the Mountain Track (ATM) to end up at Dawson Falls on the Monday to pick up the bus.
The Medium (M) Party will drive further around the Mountain to Dawson Falls and follow the ATM in the opposite direction to the M/F Party arriving at the Mangorei Road End midday on the Monday.
The two Parties will cross over and meet up on the Saturday night at Tahurangi Lodge. The M/F Party will drive the bus around from Dawson Falls on the Monday to pick up the Medium Party from Mangorei Roadend Carpark for travel back to Auckland.
Trip Cost includes: Accommodation for 2 of the nights at private Egmont and Taranaki Alpine Club Huts and a 3rd night at DOC Holly Hut.
(i) Kapuni Lodge (1400M): 19 Bunks above Dawson Falls:
LPG Gas cooking facilities, Wood / Coal Fire, Solar Lighting and Crockery/Utensils
(ii) Tahurangi Lodge (26 Bunks) above North Egmont near the TV Transmitter.
The Lodge has: Electricity and a kitchen equipped with stoves, microwave ovens, fridge, cutlery, pots, pans, plates and cups etc.
(iii) Holly Hut-32 Bunk DOC Serviced Hut with solar lighting
Not bookable: first come, first served
MEDIUM PARTY (M): Maximum Party Size is 10
Friday: Arrive before mid- day at Dawson Falls road end.
From Dawson Falls DOC Visitor Centre climb to Kapuni Lodge- Mt Egmont Alpine Club Lodge (1400M, ~1½hrs). Depending on weather continue climb to Syme Hut (1,940M) below Fanthams Peak. (~3½ Hrs return).
• If the weather is not suitable for the climb to Fanthams Peak, the side trips planned for Saturday can be done instead and the climb to Syme Hut / Fanthams Peak delayed until Saturday morning.
Saturday: From Kapuni Lodge return to Dawson Falls. (1hr)
Dawson Falls Power Station: 50 m down Manaia Road from the Dawson Falls Visitor Centre ~5 mins return)
Kapuni Loop Track to Dawson Falls
The track begins 75 m down Manaia Road from the Dawson Falls Visitor Centre
to Dawson Falls ( 1½hrs return).
From Dawson Falls Car Park proceed up the Wilkies Pool track to the Main Ridge Track across to the Stratford Plateau (1hr).
Manganui Gorge Track to the TV Transmitter Station and Tahurangi Lodge (Taranaki Alpine Club Lodge): 1½hrs
M/F Party will also be staying at Tahurangi Lodge.
Sunday: From Tahurangi Lodge along ATM track passing: Dieffenbach Cliffs Razorback, Ambury Bluff, Boomerang Slip to Holly Hut. (3hrs)
From Holly Hut side trip to Bells Falls (2 hrs return)
Monday: Holly Hut via Ahukawawa Track to Pouakai Hut (2½hrs), from Pouakai Hut side trip to Pouakai Tarns (1 hr) and returning to Mangorei Road End (1 hr).
• Meet Bus at mid-day
MEDIUM/FIT PART (M/F): Maximum Party Size is 10
Friday: The M/F Group will be dropped off at Mangorei Roadend carpark.
From the Mangorei trailhead up Mangorei Track to Pouakai Hut, side trip over Trig to Pouakai Tarns (~2hrs) then returning via the Ahukawawa Track to Holly Hut (2 1/2hrs). A side trip during the afternoon to Bell Falls (2hrs).
Saturday: Holly Hut Track, Boomerang Slip, Ambury Bluff, Razorback, & Dieffenbach Cliffs to Tahurangi Alpine Club Lodge for Saturday night. (~3 hrs).
(i) If conditions are favourable late morning we will climb to the Mt Taranaki summit (2,510M!) via the Northern Summit Route climbing up The Lizard to the crater. (5hrs return)
(ii) If conditions not suitable for a Summit assault we can do the loop tramp down the Holly Hut Track to the North Egmont Visitor Centre (978M, ~ 1 hr), up the Maketawa Track to Maketawa Hut (1074M, 1 1/2hrs) and then up The Puffer to Tahurangi Lodge. (1468M, 1hr)
Sunday: If climb to the Summit not viable on the Saturday and weather okay we can complete the Summit climb early morning and then come back down following the Around the Mountain Track (ATM) over Manganui Gorge Track to East Egmont and then continue on a further hour across the Ridge Track to Dawson Falls.
During the afternoon we will climb up to Kapuni Alpine Club Lodge (1400M) and for the keen members continue onto Syme Hut (1,940M), highest hut on the mountain below Fanthams Peak.
Monday: Return to Dawson Falls Visitor Centre with visit to Dawson Falls before driving around to Mangorei Rd to meet our other party.
• Both trips involve travel on exposed tops. Full storm gear required. DOC has recently changed Holly Hut to requiring a booking through their Online Booking Site. I have secured bookings for all of the Medium Party(10) and 5 for the M/F Party so some of the M/F Party will need to carry tents.
Cost: $250. (Includes: DOC Holly Hut Fee, Kapuni Alpine Lodge and Tahurangi Lodge Fees).
An additional $30 applies for people choosing to stay at the historic “Camphouse” on the Thursday night.
N.B: As places on this Trip are limited to 20 please register and pay a $40 deposit by 30th September to secure your place.
Final payment is due 30 November 2021.
Depart: Thursday: 27th January 2022, 6.30pm: Corner 6 Auburn St & Como St Carpark, Takapuna
Organiser: Kevin Osten Ph. 0274 577418
Drivers: Craig, Arletta and Colin
Maps - Medium-Fit Party
Maps - Medium Party
- Covid in the Red Light Setting:
- People attending Club trips will be required to present a “My Vaccine Pass” from the QR code app or by printing your Vaccine Pass from the "My Health Website".
- Please scan the Club QR Code using the NZ Covid Tracer app
- On trips where the bus is being run 1 metre social distancing and masks required.
- While tramping in public spaces where other people expected to be encountered maintain 1 metre social distancing and wear a mask
- See the Club website for full details about Covid restrictions.