Finally we get to do this track with lockdowns earlier this year etc.
The Omanawanui Track has only just re-opened after being extensively resurfaced with a large number of steps and gravel bringing the track to "Kauri standard". So although this ridgeline track won't be rugged fun anymore, the views will still be extremely impressive across the Manukau Harbour, Awhitu (South Head), the Whatipu Wetlands and the treacherous Manukau Bar and the Tasman Sea.
We can only go there and back on this track now, as Kura Track is still closed, as are other tracks in the area (KDB). We will head down and skirt the wetlands to an awesome, very large cave, that back in logging days, was much deeper and had a dance floor. If the tide is still low enough we'll also go check out Nine Pin Rock and enjoy this area that is also a scientific reserve and steeped in history.
We may stop at the Huia Store on the way back for a nice cooling Ice cream.
As this track is usually a good workout ,PLEASE ensure you have PLENTY of WATER with you!!!
Very important, PLEASE ensure all your gear is clean, as Omanawanui is a Kauri'd area and as always ensure you thoroughly clean your gear afterwards. Bring clean footwear for bus trip back and bag for dirty footwear.
All groups will tramp 5 hours plus, there will be some very steep hills, although nothing over a 241 metres, but there are a few of them as this track undulates along ridge line and there are no options for short cuts back once on the track. Terrain maybe also slippery and will be uneven. There are approximately two thousand or more steps on the Omanawanui Track, plus more for the Karamatura Track. A really good workout for all!
* Only come out with us if you are well https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-1/
* You are welcome to use your face mask and hand sanitiser and there is also sanitiser at the bus entry.
* There will be a COVID-19 QR code available for scanning
* If you have arrived from overseas in the last month, please stay away.
PLEASE NOTE EARLY DEPARTURE TIME.
- 8.00am The Strand, Takapuna
Organiser: Imogen 027 289 8440 (ALL newbies please phone, no texts)
Cost: $10 members, $15 non-members, $5 juniors
Maps: Online / Printable / GPS
To access the printable maps, download the zipped file, and either:
· open the zipped file, then drag the files to a new location OR
· press and hold (or right-click) the zipped file, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions