Tongariro National Park
A couple of cancellations give opportunities to other financial members to book
Join us for a unique winter experience in the National Park.
Limited to 22 trampers.
Out Party –Maximum 4
Tongariro Northern Circuit Great Walk:
• Friday night: travel to Tongariro National Park, overnight in a lodge at Whakapapa Village
• Saturday: walk from Whakapapa Village to Waihohonu Hut, 28 bunks (5 hours). Optional side trip to Upper Tama Lakes (1.5 hours)
• Sunday: combining two walks going to Oturere Hut (3 hours), and carrying on to Mangatepopo Hut for the night, 20 bunks (5 hours)
• Monday: walk back to Whakapapa Village (3 hours), and return to Auckland
As this is very weather-dependent trip we will work closely with the Whakapapa DOC Information Centre and confirm the condition of the track prior to the day of departure.
If the Northern Circuit is closed, or we don’t have the required numbers of trampers the Out Party will stay at Whakapapa Village and join the Home Party for day walks. Minimum of 4 trampers required.
Home Party comprising Easy and Medium Options – Maximum of 18
• Friday night: travel to Tongariro National Park and stay in lodge accommodation at Whakapapa Village
• Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning: there are several long and short walks to choose from such as:
• Tongariro Crossing (6-7 hours)
• Tama Lakes (5-6 hours)
• Ohakune Old Coach Road (5 hours)
• Taranaki Falls (2 hours)
• Silica Rapids (2.5 hours)
• Tawhai Falls (20 minutes)
• Whakapapanui Walking Track (2 hours)
• Whakapapaaiti Valley Track ( 4-5 hours )
• Monday afternoon: return to Auckland
The Whakapapa Holiday Park in the heart of Whakapapa Village and is within walking distance of the Visitor Information Centre, eating places, cafe and local tavern. They offer free hot showers, laundry facilities and cooking and dining facilities. Bedding and linen are available for hire, and cooking and eating utensils are available for loan on request. Otherwise bring your own.
We have booked “The Lodge” at the Holiday Park which has a fully equipped kitchen, large dining room and lounge area with wood burner and TV.
The Northern Circuit Huts are not bookable for this time of the year as it's outside of the Great Walk season, and places are on first-come, first-serve basis.
We will check with DOC Information Centre about current demand on cabins given more New Zealanders are staying local. You might want to carry a tent just in case.
If the winter comes early and there is snow and ice on the track, crampons and ice axes are required. You can hire these at the mountain.
The location is ideal for sharpening your map reading and compass skills.
Depart: Friday, 4 June at 7pm from the carpark, cnr Auburn & Como Streets, Takapuna
Return: Monday evening, 7 June
• Out Party -$200 per person Includes accommodation at Whakapapa Village for all three nights in case the Northern Circuit is closed.
PLUS: You will need DOC hut tickets ($15- each) or a DOC Back Country Pass for the two hut nights. Shuttle is $20 one way. Crampons and ice axe hire is $40. Local guide if required cost $412.50 per person (to be confirmed - based on party of 6 ).
• Home Party $200 per person Includes accommodation at Whakapapa Village. If you choose to do the Tongariro Crossing or Tama Lakes, the shuttle is $40 return. Crampons and ice axe hire is $40. Local guide if required is $185 per person.
A $75 deposit is needed to confirm your booking. Final payment is due Thursday, 6th May 2021.
If suitably skilled and experienced NSTC party leaders for home party and out party are not identified, we will need to hire guides at an additional cost per person. This will be communicated to members as soon as practicable.
Waitlist registrations will be accepted
Any queries to Karen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Roz- phone 0275783037 or email email@example.com
Drivers: Arletta and Craig
We have arranged a social evening at Bivouac Albany to provide advice on preparing for winter tramping, on Wednesday 31 March commencing at 7pm. Standard discount for NSTC members for any items purchased.
Additionally a planning evening will be arranged in May for those registered for out party and home party.
• Tongariro Northern Circuit - Online / Printable / GPS
• Tongariro Crossing (6-7 hours) 19.4km one way - Online / Printable - Part A, Part B/ GPS
• Tama Lakes Loop (5-6 hours) 21km return - Online / Printable / GPS
• Tupapakurua Falls Track (4-5 hours) 11km return - Online / Printable / GPS
• Whakapapaiti Valley Track (4-5 hours) 11km plus 5 km return on Bruce Road - Online / Printable (corrected) / GPS
• Taranaki Falls Loop (2 hours) 6km - Online / Printable / GPS
• Silica Rapids (2.5 hours) 9 km plus 2.5 km return by road - Online / Printable / GPS
• Whakapapanui Walk (2 hours) 6 km (excludes return by road or track) - Online / Printable / GPS
• Ohakune Old Coach Road (5 hours) 12km (map also extends to 16kms total to include the river walk to Ohakune)
Online / Printable / GPS
To access the zipped maps, download the zipped file, and either:
• open the zipped file, then drag the files to a new location
• press and hold (or right-click) the zipped file, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions.