Trip is full and waitlist applications are no longer being accepted
Tongariro Northern Circuit Great Walk:
- Friday night: travel to Tongariro National Park, overnight in a lodge at Whakapapa Village
- Saturday: walk from Whakapapa Village to Waihohonu Hut, 28 bunks (5 hours). Optional side trip to Upper Tama Lakes (1.5 hours)
- Sunday: combining two walks going to Oturere Hut (3 hours), and carrying on to Mangatepopo Hut for the night, 20 bunks (5 hours)
- Monday: walk back to Whakapapa Village (3 hours), and return to Auckland
For more information about the route, see here.
As this is very much weather-dependent trip we will work closely with the Whakapapa DOC Information Centre and confirm the condition of the track prior to the day of departure. If the Northern Circuit is closed, the out party will stay at Whakapapa Village and join the home party for day walks.
- Friday night: travel to Tongariro National Park and stay in lodge accommodation at Whakapapa Village
- Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning: a number of long and short walks to choose from such as:
- Tongariro Crossing (6-7 hours)
- Tama Lakes (5-6 hours)
- Ohakune Old Coach Road (5 hours)
- Taranaki Falls (2 hours)
- Silica Rapids (2.5 hours)
- Tawhai Falls (20 minutes)
- Monday afternoon: return to Auckland
For more information about the walks, see here.
The Whakapapa Holiday Park in the heart of Whakapapa Village and is within walking distance of the Visitor Information Centre, eating places, cafe and local tavern. They offer free hot showers, laundry facilities and cooking and dining facilities. Bedding and linen are available for hire, and cooking and eating utensils are available for loan on request. Otherwise bring your own.
The Northern Circuit Huts are not bookable for this time of the year being it's outside of the Great Walk season, and places are on first-come, first-serve basis. The DOC information centre assures us that there will not be many people in June , but you might want to carry a tent just in case.
If the winter comes early and there's snow and ice on the track, crampons and ice axes are recommended. You can hire these at the mountain for $20 per day, or $15 per day for crampons only.Depart:
Friday, 1 June at 7pm from the carpark, cnr Auburn & Como Streets, Takapuna
The Monday evening, 4 June
- Out Party - $210. Includes accommodation at Whakapapa Village for all three nights in case the Northern Circuit is closed. You will need DOC hut tickets or a DOC Back Country Pass for the two hut nights.
- Home Party $210. Includes accommodation at Whakapapa Village. If you choose to do the Tongariro Crossing, the shuttle is $35.
A $50 deposit is needed to confirm your booking. Final payment is due Thursday, 10th May 2018.
Waitlist registrations are no longer accepted as this trip is full.
Any queries to Karen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monika - phone 022 043 4781 or email here.
To access the zipped maps, download the zipped file, and either:
- open the zipped file, then drag the files to a new location
- press and hold (or right-click) the zipped file, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions