Something for everyone to enjoy. Bring your camera for stupendous views. Swims and coffee are optional.
Due to storm damage on the track at Church Bay, the routes have been changed:
- Starting at the ferry terminal, we will head north along the coast to via Owhanake Bay to Oneroa
- Lunch, and there will be time for a swim at Oneroa Beach
- Depending on the energy levels and the time remaining, you can return to the ferry using the direct walk via the Ocean View Road track, or the longer route via Blackpool Beach and Te Wiro Bay
A distance party will travel anticlockwise from Matiatia to Church Bay, and onto Park Point and Te Wharau Bay. Then up the hill for a short road walk to the Pio Rehutai Reserve and a bush track to the trig point, with great views over the island. A short road walk to another reserve and descent to Blackpool. Then up Tui Road to Oneroa, stopping for a swim or a coffee if desired.
Depending on energy levels, there’s a choice of tracks back to the ferry. The longest will be along the beach and via the Auckland University vineyard to Island Bay, onto Owhanaki and Matiatia. The shortest will do the reverse of the longer route, omitting Park Point and dropping down to the coast at Church bay.
Low tide 11:00 am, high 5:11 pm.
Bookings: You may prebook the ferry tickets with Fullers at https://www.fullers.co.nz/destinations/waiheke-island/
Ferry departures to Waiheke Island:
Please be at the terminal 30 minutes before the ferry departs.
- From Downtown Auckland - 9.00 am
- From Devonport - 9.10 am
- Arrives Waiheke - 9.40 am
Ferry departures from Waiheke Island:
- To Devonport & Downtown - 4.00 pm. Services are also available at 12:00 pm, 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm
- To Downtown direct (no stop at Devonport) - on the hour and half hour until 8pm
Organiser: John Lamb 410 5211 / 021 227 3614
- Adult - $38 return
- Super Gold Card holders - free
Maps: (updated Wed 7 Feb 2018)
Sorry - the following longer routes can't be used this time due to storm damage at Church Bay:
- Matiatia to Oneroa via Owhanake Bay (approx 2 hours) - online / printable - a short section of the track is closed due to storm damage near Hakaimango Point, so divert via Korora Road
- Oneroa to Matiatia via Ocean View Road (25 to 30 mins) - online / printable
- Oneroa to Matiatia via Te Wiro Bay and Blackpool Beach (approx 2.5 hours) - online / printable